Wednesday, June 27, 2012

College Football Playoff: The Latest Evidence that 2012 is a Thing

http://www.movie-vault.com/ckeditor/images/userfiles/images/2012_movie_still_john_cusack-thumb-500x281-31747.jpg

Are we really all just naive enough to think that the universe is allowing college football to have a playoff starting in 2014?

I enjoy sports played by the people who are the best at said sports (some may call these people "professionals"). But boy oh boy do I love March Madness. It's my favorite sporting event of each year, with the possible exception of the Scripps National Spelling Bee (the Bee would be a lock if it could be classified uncontroversially as a sporting event).  I have to think that a college football playoff would have the same effect on me as March Madness. Sure it's only four teams, but there's no way I'm not watching those three games come playoff time. Teams running the option ad nauseum and consistently referring to running backs as "tailbacks" was enough for me not to care about college football, let alone the whack-ass BCS. But I can't sit here, look our millions of readers in the eye, and say that I wouldn't relish the opportunity to see Boise State-supporting dicks shut the fuck up when their beloved blue-grass Broncos get bitched by Baylor (I know Baylor isn't usually a contender, but I had to keep up the alliteration and they're the best major-conference team that started with a B). And a college football playoff would give me that opportunity!

But college football actually doing something smart? Something that makes the sport more relevant to people (like myself) who have no direct affiliation to a college football team? Something that just makes the sport more exciting, fairer, and awesomer?

If that's not some 2012 shit, I don't know what is.

3 comments:

  1. would have been way better saying "bitched by Bama"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh looks like we have a critic in the house. YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?! YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?!?!?!?!?!?!? See you next weekend.

      Delete